Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What abaya styles am I wearing in Oman??? pt. 1

JERSEY BALLOON SLEEVE ABAYAS: Oh how I love these. Number one, they are not hot at all, number two, they are cheap. As in $40-$60 USD. I have both black and numerous prints. They fit on over the head so are pretty hassle free (unless you are breastfeeding or shopping for clothes in a lot of different stores).

WIDE SLEEVE ABAYA (not to be mistaken with flared sleeve of kimono sleeved): In Oman, wide but not flared or kimono-sleeved abayas are major. I have the floral embroidered one pictured above from Al Motihajiba in black. While the colours are lovely, I wear the black one way more. And Al Motihajiba is quality---like $400-800 USD for an abaya so I wanted one that'll last me 10 years. I bought another one with green, red and white crystals one the sleeve for about $160.00 USD from a Kuwaiti abaya boutique in Madinat Qaboos in Muscat.
GRECIAN OR DAS STYLE: Crepe and jersey drapery is all the rage. I call this the Roman/Grecian style. We were the cheap jersey ones day to day but the crepe ones we tend to save for special occasion because they have alot of volume (and tend to stick out of car doors). I have one cheap (about 56.00 USD) jersey version like the one pictured top from the Omani souq, and one quality crepe with a satiny-sheen one like the bottom Noblesse Oblige one (about $340 USD) from Hanayen. All are plain black with oramentation of belts. Makes accessorizing more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment